Saturday, February 26, 2005

Good Shabbos

Just some thoughts:

Is Corsedonk Beer Shabbosdik? From what I know about brewing, there's nothing in the beer that would make it treif, but the artwork on the bottle shows very clearly a baby JC and his Mom, the Virgin "Miriam." Well, it is an "abbey ale, what should I expect? On the other hand, here I am surfing the net on Shabbos, an activity prohibited by Conservative Judaism as much as it's prohibited by Orthodox ... but I'm a heretic, why should I care? Oh, right. I'm an apikoris, not a goy, and maybe a pic of Yoshke is going a little too far. But I still finished the bottle. this is good ale.

Well, no problem, I've switched from Corsedonk's 7.5% abv to the 50% abv of Navip slivovitz. Oh, and we need to send an e-mail to Radosevich’s Earthwood Inn on the North Shore in Two Harbors, Minnnesota. The U. S. Slivovitz Festival that occurred last fall, while it included sampling of fine kosher slivovitz, also included a "pig roast." The least they could do is offer a kosher "bull roast" as an alternative. Maybe we need to send a contingent of Yidden to next year's festival to set things straight. Maybe a klezmer band, in addition to Dr. Kielbasa's Polka Band. And we need to show the goyim that Jews can get drunk, too.

Oh, yes, and I can't be a Conservative Apikoris unless I post some disaffection with Conservative Judaism, so here goes. The Corsedonk (plus a little West Virginia corn liquor) relaxed my inhibitions enough tonight that I actualy attempted to sing Z'miros at my Shabbos table (driving the kids away in horror at the off-key singing). During my rendition of "Yom zeh Mechubad", my eyes strayed over to the translation in my Conservative bentsher ("B'kol Echad," edited by Cnator Jeffrey Shiovitz, published by the Uinited Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, Depatment of Youth Activities). I seem to have detetced naotherinstance where the Conservatives have kept the traditional Hebrew, but have provided an innacurate, politcally correct, translation. What is it with our Conservative Clergy? do they thing we're a bunch of ignoramuses, we don't know Hebrew?

Here's the passage in question:

Lo techsar kol bo v'alchalta
v'savata uveirachta et
adonai elohecha asher ahavta,
ki veirachh'cha mikol ha'amim...

translated as..

You'll lack for nothing, you'll eat with cheer,
So dine and wine, and singing clear,
Bless the Lord and love and revere,
For above all, He did bless your nest...

I may not be a Hebrew scholar, but the last line in Hebrew clearly (to me) says that "You will be blessed from all the other peoples." The translation is a wee bit subtle about that point, if you ask me. As if the translator was uncomfortable with the idea that God has elevated the Jews above other people. What is this, some kind of Reconstructionist bentsher? Come on, be honest, Judaism is not liberalism. That's why I have my doubts about Judaism.

Good Shabbos.
(After all, I'm an apikoris, not a goy.)


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'd love to have you bring a car full of your friends to the 2005 Festival, especially if they're musicians! The pig is likely to stay, but we're open to roasting anything that's not named Spot or Fluffy.

If Minnesota is too far, we're likely to host a Satellite Slivovitz Festival at the Makor in Manhattan the same weekend. Watch the website for more information.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'd love to have you bring a car full of your friends to the 2005 Festival, especially if they're musicians! The pig is likely to stay, but we're open to roasting anything that's not named Spot or Fluffy.

If Minnesota is too far, we're likely to host a Satellite Slivovitz Festival at the Makor in Manhattan the same weekend. Watch the website for more information.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do You Have Any Information Regarding The Jewish
Whistle Blower?

Please assist at www.persuasion-university.com

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rest of the translation is figurative and not literal. The last line should be figurative too.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home