Saturday, February 26, 2005

Live "Frei" or die -- orgin of the Blog name

It comes from the state motto of New Hampshire. From a letter by General John Stark, a Revolutionary War hero, who had a lot to do with ensuring that we Yanks no longer sing "G-d Save the King." It's a variation on Patrick Henry's "Give me Liberty or give me death!

On the other hand. somewhere I read that Patrick Henry made some sort of anti-semitic statements, though I haven't been able to find any references in a google search. Of course, Henry was active in the 1770's, at that time, even the mavens of the Enlightenment still had some visceral reactions against Yidden, even if their ideology taught them such reactions were irrational. Who knows what Jefferson really thought about the Jews, what's important is that ol' Tom insistent on codifying religious freedom in Virginia. So what if he owned slaves? One thing at a time.

As for General Stark, my google search gave no idea of whether he was an apikoris or an anti-semite, or even a Christian. (Many of the American Founding Fathers, were actually deists, even if they participated in Christian churches. Kind of like all the frum atheist bloggers.)

So why did I pick to New Hampshire State motto for my blog title? Well, I was in New Hampshire last week, and while I prefer Maine, I did have a good time. (The lobster tastes the same, whether it comes from New Hampshire or Maine).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, "Live Free or Die," is a more edifying state motto than that of Delaware: "Home of tax-free shopping."

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home