Sunday, March 20, 2005

Rabbi Rank -- invoking Goodwin's Law

Ah, our good Rabbi Perry Raphael Rank, President of the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly and "Spiritual leader" of the Midway Jewish Center, Long Island, New York. He must never have heard of Goodwin's Law, as is obvious from this Rabbi's Message from 2003:

"Self-Criticism or Self Destruction?"

Self-criticism is important, but when Jews, whether in the media or elsewhere, incessantly attack Israel or the Israeli government, they become the unwitting kapos of a cruel world.

He then attempts to argue that Jewish professors who advocate disvestment of their University Funds from Israeli companies would not have been redeemed had they been around during the time of the Exodus. Rabbi Rank equates people who criticize the State of Israel with the 4/5ths of the Israelites who (according to the Talmudic-era midrash) stayed behind in Egypt.

I don't know where to begin regarding Rabbi Rank's statement. He's lucky I'm not a makher at his shul, or he'd be in real trouble come contract time.

First, he it's pretty obvious that he can't handle dissenting opinions. "Self-criticism is important," he says, but to advocate any argument or action that might be effective makes a person a "kapo." In other words, anyone who advocates doing something serious to change the current policies of the State of Israel is a traitor to the Jewish people. This seems to be typical of Rabbi Rank's rhetorical style. He seems to agree with something, and immediately contradicts it.

Second, he uses incorrect historical parallels. A kapo was a concentration camp inmate who assisted the management. Believing that gentile critics of the policies of the State of Israel are the equivalent of Nazi concentration camp guards is so obviously silly that I'm wondering why I even have to write about this. Why didn't the management of the Midway Jewish Center pull this foolish sermon from its web site immediately?

Rabbi Rank, because you called them "kapos," you were the first to raise a comparison involving the Nazis to the debate, so according to Goodwin's Law, the debate on this topic is over, and you lose.

14 Comments:

Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Any Jew who would stoop to calling any other Jew a Nazi or Nazi collaborator is simply beneath contempt. Case closed.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I was searching for information for WATER FILTRATION FOR KIDS.COM, I ended up staying for a while. You have a great blog Conserv ive Apikoris. Keep it up.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog and the info you have Conserv ive Apikoris. I just recently ventured into blogging and love it. I am constantly on the lookout for more info on
WATER FILTRATION FOR KIDS.COM

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog Conserv ive Apikoris and the info you have. I am constantly on the lookout for more info on
REPLACEMENT SHOWER FILTER.COM

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Conserv ive Apikoris...
How did you get your blog to be so good? Originally I was out trying to locate rash guards related information, but your post ' this post ' got my attention and stopped in my tracks :) Glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about rash guards and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks Conserv ive Apikoris for the good read and I think I'll mention your blog to my cousin (if that's okay...)

Keep up your effort ~ and good job.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog Conserv ive Apikoris. Keep it up. I'll make some time to read more info soon :-)

DRINKING WATER PARASITES.COM

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conserv ive Apikoris, what are we going to do...? I'm not sure about you but it's getting harder and harder to enjoy my blog because of all the spam it's getting attacked with. You may be having a similar problem... I enjoy my normal site about rashguards because it doesn't get cluttered with shallow comments, but when I'm visiting other blogs and places on the web looking for rashguards stuff it seems to be everywhere.

Well I'm not sure if you have any good tips, but good luck with your website goals. I wish you the best.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Conserv ive Apikoris, I don't know if you can help me, but I think maybe you will understand. I see all this crazy blog spam everywhere (I see some here) and I'm wondering if you know how we can stop it. I just have a site about girls rash guards, and I can't even go find information on girls rash guards without having to filter through all the junk. My blog gets totally bombarded with this rediculously spam. I hope you're not as frustrated as my self. Anyway, good luck with your blog, and let me know if you have any ideas...

Thanks.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Conserv ive Apikoris...
How did you get your blog to be so good? Originally I was out trying to locate rashguard related information, but your post ' this post ' got my attention and stopped me in my tracks :) Glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about rashguard and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks Conserv ive Apikoris for the good read and I think I'll mention your blog to my cousin (if that's okay...)

Keep up your effort ~ and good job.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Conserv ive Apikoris, I don't know if you can help me, but I think maybe you will understand. I see all this crazy blog spam everywhere (I see some here) and I'm wondering if you know how we can stop it. I just have a site about rash guards, and I can't even go find information on rash guards without having to filter through all the junk. My blog gets totally bombarded with this rediculously spam. I hope you're not as frustrated as my self. Anyway, good luck with your blog, and let me know if you have any ideas...

Thanks.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Conserv ive Apikoris...
How did you get your blog to be so good? Originally I was out trying to locate rash guards related information, but your post ' this post ' got my attention and stopped me in my tracks :) Glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about rash guards and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks Conserv ive Apikoris for the good read and I think I'll mention your blog to my cousin (if that's okay...)

Keep up your effort ~ and good job.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why you choose Goodwin's Law over God's Law.

You've evidently never heard Conservative Jewish rhetoric if you can't understand what Rabbi Rank is talking about. Conservative Jews deal with paradoxes: an A that is difficult to reconcile with a B. That's how Conservative Jewish theologians must speak.

Furthermore, this kapo thing is not a historical inaccuracy. Jewish professors who attack Israel are in a strange gray area like the kapos.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

tiffany and co, louboutin, michael kors, burberry, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, ugg boots, uggs on sale, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, air max, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike free, nike air max, longchamp, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, prada handbags, nike roshe run, replica watches, replica watches, air jordan pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses

9:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, pandora charms, hollister, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, marc jacobs, replica watches, barbour jackets, moncler, canada goose uk, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, montre pas cher, swarovski, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, converse outlet, canada goose, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, karen millen, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, moncler, moncler, swarovski crystal, lancel, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, ray ban, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton pas cher, vans, gucci, wedding dresses, coach outlet, canada goose, canada goose, bottes ugg, moncler, converse, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, supra shoes

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home